Stepping Into 2018: Britain Finds Its First Feet

Happy New Year! 2018 is here and many of you joined us to start the year off in the best possible way by getting involved in our First Foot challenge.

On New Year’s Day many of you shared your first venture into the great outdoors of the year with us and we’ve pulled together some of the best submissions for you. Join us on a journey taking in the length and breadth of the UK, from Scottish Isle of Bute to the picture-perfect Pembrokeshire coastline.

Blogger Smidge began her year with a nine-mile hike up the famous Edinburgh volcano Arthur’s Seat. The steep but popular climb rewarded the blogger with stunning views over the Scottish capital, and burnt off her New Year fry up in the process.

Cat Meffan took her First Foot of the year along the spectacular South Wales coastline, with her First Foot hike forming part of a larger exploration of Pembrokeshire.

Siân Anna Lewis lived up to her blogger title ‘the Girl Outdoors’ by taking a New Year hike along the Cornish coast, before taking a dip in the sea! The walk got Siân’s year off to a great start and helped her to recover from the previous year’s finale.

For ultimate reward and relaxation, Dr Pond prescribes a New Year’s Day ramble through the Scottish hills, followed by a spell in a hot tub.

On New Year’s Day, Isobel Hamer took her First Foot towards her 2018 walking target of 1,000 miles. Starting the year as she means to go on.

Andy Martin is also targeting a 1,000 mile 2018, starting his journey by reaching the summit of Ingleborough in Yorkshire. A 2737ft ascent is certainly one way to bring in the new year.

The First Foot of blogger ‘Adventures Around Scotland’ took her through the spectacular scenery of the Isle of Bute. Just one day into 2018, she has “already bagged some fantastic memories”.

What an amazing start to the year with a hike among some stunning Scottish scenery. Even if the rest of 2018 is a flop, I've already bagged some fantastic memories! If you've watched my InstaStories you will know that I walked part of the West Island Way which is a long distance walk on my home island. I'm actually surprised how many people haven't heard of it according to the poll I ran. The first section is a circular walk called the Kilchattan Bay Loop and follows the coast from west to south to east with stunning views from the Cumbraes on one side and Arran on the other. There is also a bit of history thrown in along the way for good measure at the ruins of St Blane's Church. This section is approx 5 miles long and covers parts of the island that can only be reached on foot, including the beautiful Glencallum Bay with its black volcanic sand. Mr Adventures Around Scotland and our dog Willow kept me good company although being a lazy lurcher, Willow liked to have a little lie down at every photo stop as you can see! Share your New Year hike with @berghausofficial using #berghausfirstfoot . . #Sponsored #Scotland #ScotSpirit #instascotland #insta_scotland #ig_scot #igscotland #igersscotland #ig_scotland #visitscotland #explore_scotland #lovescotland #scotlandlover #scotland_greatshots #loves_britain #lovegreatbritain #loves_scotland. #ukpotd #britains_talent #bbcbritain #bbctravel #brilliantbritain #omgb #travelbloggers #nevergrowold #outdoors #hiking #goexplore #travelblogger

A post shared by Susanne Arbuckle (@adventuresaroundscotland) on

Vicky Inglis also enjoyed the wind in her hair during a blustery hike around the Isle of Wight’s coastal path, taking in the sunset from Compton Bay en route.

Finally, across the pond, Canadian Mack Conboy took to Backus Woods’ shin deep snow and -13 degree temperatures, spotting a Hermit Thrush while out exploring.